Super 32 ILLINI Review (And Why Would You Put Mustard in Your BBQ Sauce?)

It was another great weekend to be an ILLINI.

At Super 32, ILLINOIS wrestling recruits put on a show with a first and a third. There was quite a bit of destruction involved, including a new takedown technique. The ILLINI recruits who attended were, from left to right, Kannon Webster, Christian Carroll and Kole Brower:





CHRISTIAN CARROLL.  Although barely a Junior in high school, Carroll won a second belt at this most prestigious of folkstyle events. In 2020, he won the Super 32 title at 195. This year, Carroll destroyed the competition at 220 with lots of pins and havoc and chaos. He even invented a new takedown technique which is described below. 

The big man pinned wrestlers from Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Ohio in a combined time of 2:55. He then beat his semifinal and final opponents from Virginia and Ohio by a combined 13-2. And so the Fargo winner added another belt to his Stop Sign. 

KANNON WEBSTER.  The Fargo champion out of Washington High School, also just a Junior in high school, lost one match by one point to the one seed. He finished with a shiny bronze medal for his efforts. That means he exceeded his five seed by two places. In doing that, he had to beat the fourth seeded wrestler, Vincent Robinson from Chicago Heights, twice. 

I forgot who mentioned this possibility on ILLINOISMatmen.com, either Nelson3.0 or HuffHall, but it would not surprise me to see Webster move up in weight either before or during college. He has arms that are longer than Luke Pletcher is tall. 

KOLE BROWER.  The newly minted ILLINI recruit and Fargo AA had a day he'd like to forget due to injury. From what I've heard, though, he will be able to bounce back quickly and win another ILLINOIS state title. The injury was just bad luck, and it was bad timing as well, since this folkstyle tournament would've showcased Brower's mat skills. 

MUSTARD IN YOUR BBQ SAUCE.  I am a nonviolent person until you put mustard in my BBQ sauce. Then, you have sealed your fate. But that's what they do in the Carolinas. Greensboro, North Carolina hosted the Super 32 this past weekend, and you can bet that there were a lot of upset wrestlers who ordered barbecue after their last matches. 




THE NEW TAKEDOWN.  This is still in the beta stage, but so far the results of testing have been fabulous. I like to call it the "Big Brother," but maybe we should call it "Lunch Money." During one of his battles, Christian Carroll pushed over a fellow like a Viking. I remember my football coach used to call them "forearm shivers." This is what it looks like:




If you have the Twitter, you can see it in action here

Comments

  1. I believe the Illini see Webster as a future 141 guy if I'm not mistaken. Carroll is a monster, I told my Son he looks like a mini Brock Lesnar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call, Huff! I was shocked at the length of Kannon's arms. He will be growing. I also expect to see a lot of cradles and ankle picks from him while wearing the "I."

      And, yes, Carroll is a beast. And he does remind one of Brock Lesnar. Cheers!

      P.S. I don't remember why I called myself Johnny Rhetoric on this board, but what the hey? I'll keep it, as it's a good Cartoon Network name.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ILLINI Wrestle-off Results, Seth Mendoza and Baby Wrestlers!

The ILLINI Midlands Preview

Clues to the 2023-2024 Fighting ILLINI Lineup? And Wrestle-Offs!