My Proudest Moment as a Wrestler

 

I had my share of triumphs in middle school, during summer tournaments, in high school and in college, but my proudest moment as a wrestler involved my son. He was so tiny at six. But he had a big heart, a fiercely competitive nature, and, most importantly, a poster of NCAA Champion John Lockhart in his room. He had seen pictures of me in my singlet, and so he agreed to give wrestling a try. 

I had coached him and his sister in t-ball and soccer, but the IKWF had a great set of coaches in our town. All I had to do was to take him to practice and watch him tumble around for an hour. Those coaches deserve a lot of credit because I had thought that t-ball and soccer players were spazzes. 




After a month or so, we went to our first tournament. He ended up losing two matches, so the whole trip home was spent trying to console him and stop the tears. 

Even Dairy Queen couldn't stop those tears. 

He kept at it, though, as he'd promised me a full season of effort. We went to a few more tournaments, but they always ended with at least one loss. 

And those tears. 

I didn't want to meddle, but I would've done anything to help him out. So, I taught him the arm drag. This is a set up that is particularly good for young kids, as they have pretty crappy balance, and it is also a great risk/reward type move. 

We drilled on it, and drilled on it. 

The last tournament of the season was a big one in our home town. By now, he had a cool little singlet and some confidence to go with it. Shortly into his first match, he tried the arm drag and BOOM he got the takedown. He kinda sucked at riding, so it was 2 points for him, 1 point for the other kid the rest of the match. 

And for the rest of the tournament. 

I yelled myself hoarse and had an amazing workout jumping up and down that day. My boy beamed with pride, holding his trophy, and I couldn't have been prouder myself, or happier. Soon afterwards, though, he said he wanted to concentrate on basketball and baseball. What could I say? He had promised me a season of effort, and, boy, did he ever deliver. 




Comments

  1. Great story Chief. I'll always have those memories of youth wrestling in IKWF and IESA with my Son. Wonderful times

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful memories, Huff. I agree. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ILLINI Wrestle-off Results, Seth Mendoza and Baby Wrestlers!

The ILLINI Midlands Preview

Clues to the 2023-2024 Fighting ILLINI Lineup? And Wrestle-Offs!